Killer Move

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
BigBen

Killer Move

Post by BigBen »

Hi,
I have always said no one ever died over a game of chess but I have had to revise that now lol after reading on page 57 of the August 07 edition of Chess Monthly ..... `Ohio prison imate and keen chess player Christopher Newton was executed on Thursday 24th May for murdering his cell mate Johnathan Brewer, in 2001` ....

"I dont't mean to laugh or anything" he said with a chuckle as he recalled the fateful chess game... "But it's stupid when you look back on it. He kept giving up. Every time I put him in check, he'd give up and want to start a new game. And I tried to tell him you never give up. You never know when your opponent is going to make a mistake. So you play it out until you can't play it out any more. I just got tired of it."

So what did he do?

Christopher J Newton murdered his cell mate for resigning to early.

Regards
Sebastian Boehme

Post by Sebastian Boehme »

Hi BigBen,

this sounds kinda cruel. Ok one fact is that resigning early is maybe something strange when still something is possible, but this depends on the situation.

The question should be: when is the right time for giving up in a chess game?
I for my part can only say that when you got a rook or a queen less, that then its most likely you will lose if you do not have some pawns for e.g. the rook. Being down a piece is another story, as one may have gotten 1 or 2 pawns for it.
Also its a question of the person's mental skills. Some simply cant stand playing on with less pieces, whereas others are true fighters.

Anyway funny, but also sad story about this prisoner and his cell friend.

Regards,
Sebastian

ps: Don't resign too early :wink:
Phil
Nutter

When is it time to resign ?

Post by Phil »

Well Harvey...... will tell you that he usually resigns just as soon as he realises I have crafty loaded ! :wink:

To use the words of Mr williamson himself :-
"To most I say welcome to this forum. In your case i resign now. "

It feels bad manners to me to continue when a position is clearly lost but i assume we are talking human vs humans and not silicon opponents.

Happy days
Phil
Last edited by Phil on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian Boehme

Post by Sebastian Boehme »

Howdy Phil,

yes vs. Harvey it is always so easy to win - just send him a bunch of smell and he will run. Especially liked by him: the original Phil beer scent.

Muhahaha
Happy days to you Phil and much worries to Harvey :wink:

Regards,
Sebi