Hiarcs 11 under Fritz 11 UI: setting questions.

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

mikebore

Hiarcs 11 under Fritz 11 UI: setting questions.

Post by mikebore »

I have recently installed Hiarcs 11.2 MP under Fritz 11 in Vista on Boot Camp partition on a MacBook Pro.

All is working well but I have a couple of questions/problems about settings:-

1. The default installed hash value is 384 Mb. I have 2 Gb RAM on the machine so tried to increase it. Every attempt to change the value, even by the smallest amount causes an endless spinning blue wheel and I have quit the program from Task manager.

2. Do I need to point Hiarcs to Fritz's endgame Nalimov databases (like I have to under Sigma) or does this happen automatically? If I need to, how do I do it?

Thanks

Mike
mikebore

Found the answer to the hash setting

Post by mikebore »

I have found that I can change the hash value by changing the engine back to Fritz, changing the hash in Fritz, then changing back to Hiarcs. Seems Hiarcs uses whatever Fritz was given. I have set 1024 as being closest to the 50% recommendation.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Hi Mike,

I am glad you have got the problem sorted. 1024 sounds like the best hash setting if you have 2gb of Ram.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
mikebore

Post by mikebore »

hello Harvey,

Thanks for confirming hash setting.

Any advice about databases? I have "use tablebases" ticked, but can't see any other options, for example to point to the Nalimov bases, as I can under Sigma. Will Hiarcs automatically use the Fritz databases?

Thanks

Mike
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

mikebore wrote:hello Harvey,

Thanks for confirming hash setting.

Any advice about databases? I have "use tablebases" ticked, but can't see any other options, for example to point to the Nalimov bases, as I can under Sigma. Will Hiarcs automatically use the Fritz databases?

Thanks

Mike
If tour using the Fritz GUI click on options then the tablebases tab and you can set a path there to where your tablebases are located.
mikebore

Post by mikebore »

Thanks. I had seen that window in Tools/options, but when I navigated to the program files/Chessbase folder couldn't see any databases. Anyway have now found it in my user documents folder and pointed it at that...so that's it I assume. The database was loaded before as I could see them via F12 so not sure what setting the paths has actually done.