Franco Rocco Fidelity Designer Series

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Bryan Whitby

Franco Rocco Fidelity Designer Series

Post by Bryan Whitby »

We all know that Franco Rocco was commissioned by Fidelity to design their "Designer" series but I never knew anymore about the man. A few months ago I decided to explore the Internet and was surprised to find that he was still busy designing in his home land of Italy at the age of 78.

Given the opportunity that he was still alive, I thought that I would contact him to see if by any chance he still had the original "Designer" drawings. I also hoped that there might be the chance that other designs of the "Designer" series that maybe Fidelity had rejected might also be with the originals which would make very interesting viewing!

I emailed Signor Rocco explaining who I was and asked him if he still had the original designs. To be honest, I did not even expect a reply but after about a week a email arrived from the man himself.

He thanked me for contacting him and said that he would look to see if he still had them stored away somewhere. If he did then he would send me copies of them but it might take some time to locate them.

Anyway, about a few weeks later, Signor Rocco replied again. This time he apologised but unfortunately he could not find any designs anywhere and said that he must have thrown them away years ago.

Obviously I was disappointed but at least we still have his chess computers to admire.

Image Image
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Thanx for this interesting post! :-)

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Larry

Post by Larry »

Yes, thanks. For a moment I thought that was Ron Nelson in
the picture.
L
Tr0ntreez

Post by Tr0ntreez »

I really like the design of his boards! I had a 2000, 2100 and a display 2100 :) The thin-ness of the boards appealed to me most compared with the clunky looking excellence series. It was very sleek overall and the size was perfect for a smaller board with the playing field centred and taking up the majority of the space. Even the color scheme of the board and pieces was good!

Many thanks Franco! Brilliant work!

I'd also love to get in touch with Julio Kaplan if anyone know's how?

Designer series regards,

tt
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Tr0ntreez wrote:I really like the design of his boards! I had a 2000, 2100 and a display 2100 :) The thin-ness of the boards appealed to me most compared with the clunky looking excellence series. It was very sleek overall and the size was perfect for a smaller board with the playing field centred and taking up the majority of the space. Even the color scheme of the board and pieces was good!

Many thanks Franco! Brilliant work!

I'd also love to get in touch with Julio Kaplan if anyone know's how?

Designer series regards,

tt
Yes I totally agree 👍