The triad to win a computer...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

The triad to win a computer...

Post by Fernando »

It is this. Please, take note that I will give you FOR FREE the result of many years playing chess comps.
It is this:
PATIENCE, FORTITUDE and Nastiness
Patience not to try to win at once with a tactical strike just because you have a better position. Even an old and mediocre program can detect a flaw and kick your teeth
Fortitude not to lose spirit because you are behind a pawn or in a bad position.
nastiness to play always the sharpest move. This told to me a Chilean IM, a friend of mine, a lovely guy, one of the few that ever beat Fisher in a tournament game. His name: Carlos Jauregui.
He said to me many times: "always play a move that is irritant, nasty, irksome to the other guy, never just a "positional" move or a developing"
move"

Fern
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: The triad to win a computer...

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:It is this. Please, take note that I will give you FOR FREE the result of many years playing chess comps.
It is this:
Patience not to try to win at once with a tactical strike just because you have a better position. Even an old and mediocre program can detect a flaw and kick your teeth
Fortitude not to lose spirit because you are behind a pawn or in a bad position.
nastiness to play always the sharpest move. This told to me a Chilean IM, a friend of mine, a lovely guy, one of the few that ever beat Fisher in a tournament game. His name: Carlos Jauregui.
He said to me many times: "always play a move that is irritant, nasty, irksome to the other guy, never just a "positional" move or a developing"
move"

Fern
Firstly, let me thank you for the free information. I was going to send
you $1K, but you say it's free...
Patience was never my strong suit. These days I'm only good for fast
chess. Yes, it pays to have a nasty streak. The great Alekhine was known
as the sadist of the chess board. Depending on who I'm playing, and
assuming I'm winning, I have been known to subtlety hang pieces in
the full knowledge that my remaining slender material advantage will
still win the game. I'll do this for my own amusement when I know
my opponent is a horse's ass, and he'd do the same to me. Nastiness is
particularly effective when the opponent is in time trouble.
Regarding fortitude, without it you will never be a strong player.
L
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Larry wrote:
Fernando wrote:It is this. Please, take note that I will give you FOR FREE the result of many years playing chess comps.
It is this:
move"

Fern
Firstly, let me thank you for the free information. I was going to send
you $1K, but you say it's free...
Patience was never my strong suit. These days I'm only good for fast
chess. Yes, it pays to have a nasty streak. The great Alekhine was known
as the sadist of the chess board. Depending on who I'm playing, and
assuming I'm winning, I have been known to subtlety hang pieces in
the full knowledge that my remaining slender material advantage will
still win the game. I'll do this for my own amusement when I know
my opponent is a horse's ass, and he'd do the same to me. Nastiness is
particularly effective when the opponent is in time trouble.
Regarding fortitude, without it you will never be a strong player.
L

well, if you like these most simple advice, I can offer you the REST of the course by a paltry sum, say, 1500 bucks payable in comfortable installments.
The full course is called "The Seven gold Rules to Lose every game but playing a decent mediocre game"
I am a master in that, I can assure you it is so
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote: Nastiness is particularly effective when the opponent is in time trouble.
Very True
waay back while I was in University ..aside from being on the chess team I would spend countless hrs in the Student Union Bldg playing Blitz with clocks
whenever a new player would show up and we played our first game ..when the flag was about to fall on his clock .. I was not above making a lightning fast move(any move would do )..slamming the piece down and shouting out"CHECK" where there was no check
the player would spend his last precious seconds nervously looking for the check that did not exist and his flag would fall

Chess Aint No Disco Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Larry wrote: Nastiness is particularly effective when the opponent is in time trouble.
Very True
waay back while I was in University ..aside from being on the chess team I would spend countless hrs in the Student Union Bldg playing Blitz with clocks
whenever a new player would show up and we played our first game ..when the flag was about to fall on his clock .. I was not above making a lightning fast move(any move would do )..slamming the piece down and shouting out"CHECK" where there was no check
the player would spend his last precious seconds nervously looking for the check that did not exist and his flag would fall

Chess Aint No Disco Regards
Steve

Now I understand how you arrived at the top of your profession.

Making business with the pistol at side regards
Fern
Festina Lente