Garry Kasparov teaches chess

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
herO

Garry Kasparov teaches chess

Post by herO »

Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Garry Kasparov teaches chess

Post by Fernando »

At 90 bucks is not that expensive, but I have lost every hope that you ever will get something of these courses.
Festina Lente
herO

Post by herO »

Fernando wrote:
At 90 bucks is not that expensive, but I have lost every hope that you ever will get something of these courses.
You are right. The main goal for masterclass is to earn money.
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Well, sure it is. Not to be sarcastic, but so what? It's still cool. The same format is in play for classes from Werner Herzog (film), David Mamet (playwriting), etc. All with a fee. I would expect that. I wouldn't expect KASPAROV GIVES FREE CHESS LESSONS. He has every right to trade on his name. That doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't work for free. I wouldn't expect him to, either.

That said, I've seen this offer, and pondered it. My reluctance isn't the money - it's the prospect of a lesson that is bound to be general, not aimed at advanced players. That's a good thing, in the sense of promoting chess, which I support. But I would not expect individualized instruction in this situation. It's a novelty, and that's OK.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Larry

Post by Larry »

I certainly agree that there's nothing untoward about a chess pro
using his name and past successes to earn money. For me,
however, I've found that a good chess player is not necessarily
a good coach. In any case, chess tutorial software is everywhere
nowadays, some of it quite good, and free.
Personally, I've been in this game way too long to feel I'd get
any benefit. Whatever strength I've now got is all I'll ever have.
L
Volodymyr

Post by Volodymyr »

I also doubt these courses.

Carlsen recommendations,13 tips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMaaHd7aFIs

Kasparov recommendations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMe-hvCwTRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2KKfOGaR_w

Now everything is there.The main thing is desire and free time. :)
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

At $90 it isn't too much money and it is Garry Kasparov, after all. I guess chess lectures from Garry Kasparov would be interesting if nothing else.

He did some things with Chessbase back in 2004/5 that are probably still out there. I remember reading a review about the CB stuff in a NIC yearbook that it might be too advanced for most amateurs as he didn't always explain every move.

As far as individual GM instruction goes, it is amazing how much one can learn in a one on one lesson with a good strong coach. It isn't cheap by any measure and not all GMs make good coaches either. I have found GM Akobian to be an excellent coach.

For those that haven't heard, Kasparov is returning to rated play, at least in one rapid and blitz event. This is not an exhibition like when he played GM Short. Here are some details: http://grandchesstour.org/2017-grand-chess-tour/stlrb

You should be able to follow the above play live on chess24.com starting on Monday August 14th.

Regards,
Brian B
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Reinfeld wrote:
Well, sure it is. Not to be sarcastic, but so what? It's still cool. The same format is in play for classes from Werner Herzog (film), David Mamet (playwriting), etc. All with a fee. I would expect that. I wouldn't expect KASPAROV GIVES FREE CHESS LESSONS. He has every right to trade on his name. That doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't work for free. I wouldn't expect him to, either.

That said, I've seen this offer, and pondered it. My reluctance isn't the money - it's the prospect of a lesson that is bound to be general, not aimed at advanced players. That's a good thing, in the sense of promoting chess, which I support. But I would not expect individualized instruction in this situation. It's a novelty, and that's OK.

- R.
I think nobody is complaining for the fee. Of course he has a right to earn money. Our pal here say just that, I mean, that is a financial endeavor by Kasparov. . Respect me, I just try to say those courses rarely are useful for an experienced player, maybe, with luck, for a beginner. And going deeper, even an advanced course will probably serve to nothing. It is not the fault of the teachers, but of us. We are not boys, we have our lives, we take chess as a pleasant entertainment so I doubt very much any will take any course with enough compromise to get something. BUT it could be entertaining too to take it, but just like to go to the cinema.

Fern
Festina Lente
luis

Post by luis »

Can I download the videos?

No, the videos are not downloadable - but they are available in your account, ready for viewing (and re-watching) at any time.

Yeah, right.

1) I will not pay for something I can't download to my computer and keep forever, I don't trust for them to be in business forever or to do their best effort to keep these things available forever.

2) If the videos are view-able, and being videos I suspect they are, they can be downloaded. They are wasting their time and most importantly mine. I read about these claim before, I was always able to rip/download the video is some way. But I don't like to pay and then have to work to bypass the limitations they are imposing me because they fear to see their video end up on a torrent. It's their problem, they can't solve it by unloading their problem to me.

3) To show my appreciation to this policy, I'll wait for the torrent if it will come, and for sure I will not open my wallet. That's my policy.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Luis, Am I misunderstanding? Rather than pay the people who put the service together you would rather wait for the opportunity to steal from them? Is that really what you're saying?
Cheers,

Jeff B.
luis

Post by luis »

I don't think what I wrote can be misunderstood.
And no, clearly it's not stealing.
Stealing is when I take your wallet and you don't have it anymore.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

luis wrote: And no, clearly it's not stealing.

I don't think so
you are actually justifying stealing software ..here in this forum .. which is a commercial site where the site owner sells software for a living?
you dont like a product(for whatever reasons)..you don't buy it..period

Discussing With Other Moderators Regards
Steve
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

luis wrote:I don't think what I wrote can be misunderstood.
And no, clearly it's not stealing.
The moderators here take a different view. Please take this as a friendly 1st warning that posts advocating any kind of piracy will not be allowed.
luis

Post by luis »

I don't have much to add, that was my comment and my opinion about this kind of offer.

But I'm going to do it nevertheless.

I'll download the torrent if available and have a look at it.
I would like them to go bankrupt too, but unfortunately this will never happen considering how many people find this totally acceptable.

They will not be economically hit by this because I would never give my money to them, so that's not a lost sale. I don't think this should be too hard to grasp. Don't try to perpetuate this stupid idea.

Nothing will change for them, they will be not aware of it, and they'll continue to make people pay for something they can't really own even if it's readily available but kept hostage because that's their "policy".

I have similar views on software, and since you were talking about software, ideally:

1) Software should be not protected unless the protection is invisible and infallible.

2) If you want to protect it, the customer should never see the protection in his everyday life, it should work automagically for him and make itself manifest only when he's about to commit something we can for simplicity define as morally illegal (give a copy of the software to someone else, trying to convert an evaluation in full, etc.)

3) If it's not technically achievable the real-life approximation should tend to point 2 even at the price of losing some sales.

Most important of all:

4) Great useful software regularly updated and sold at the right price always sell.

I bought much software in my life, I have a list of registered software with acceptable protection policies probably longer than most people here. I also bought instructional videos, documentaries, even chess instructional videos.

I can accept a not ideal situation if the vendor at least show it's trying to do the right thing. That's clearly not the case.

Things like the case in point just piss me off. They piss me off and people willing to accept this, to a certain degree, also piss me off.

Again, that's my comment about this product.
Last edited by luis on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luis

Post by luis »

Harvey Williamson wrote: The moderators here take a different view. Please take this as a friendly 1st
warning that posts advocating any kind of piracy will not be allowed.
Sorry, I posted before reading this, I would have posted it anyway but be assured I'm not doing it as an act of defiance.

Anyway, that's your forum, if you want to ban me forever it's perfectly fine.

I said what I have to said and I would have stopped at the first post if not questioned about it.

Cheers.