Travel and expert

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Travel and expert

Post by Fernando »

are travel champion and expert travel using the very same engine?
Fern
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: Travel and expert

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:are travel champion and expert travel using the very same engine?
Fern
I think you are referring to these two:
Expert Travel:
https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... avel_Chess
travel champion:
https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... mpion_2080
I might be wrong. The words "travel", "expert", "champion" are
popular with chess comp names.
They are close, but not the same. The Expert is a later release and
about 100 elo stronger. Same author and processor I believe.
L
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Yes, I had that impression, but not sure. Certainly Expert Travel is tougher to defeat, if at all. Travel is strong too, but a bit more reachable.
Both are great machines for the price and strength and easily portable.

Fern
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Fern,

The Expert is a GK 2100 clone, 32k program, about 50 - 60 elo stronger then the GK 2000 (16k program, of which Turbo advanced Trainer is a clone)

The 2080 is the same program as the GK 2000, but runs at 7 MHz instead of 10 MHz.

Cloning regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

One standout feature of the Travel Champion 2080 is that it is one of the very few small portables (along with the Jade & Jade II) that has 8x8 LEDs for the squares in addition to a large LCD readout. My one concern with the 2080 is that it's too easy to lose pieces since they are on a flat board (nothing to stop them rolling off if they get dislodged like on a plane or somewhere where they would be easily lost). You can't afford to lose the pieces because short of finding a unit on EBay (don't come up very often these days), you can't replace them.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

SirDave wrote:One standout feature of the Travel Champion 2080 is that it is one of the very few small portables (along with the Jade & Jade II) that has 8x8 LEDs for the squares in addition to a large LCD readout. My one concern with the 2080 is that it's too easy to lose pieces since they are on a flat board (nothing to stop them rolling off if they get dislodged like on a plane or somewhere where they would be easily lost). You can't afford to lose the pieces because short of finding a unit on EBay (don't come up very often these days), you can't replace them.
that's right, so I do not use it, ever, when on a trip. These days we have chess apps on the phone or a tablet. I use Travel with just one piece, a king. to mark the moves I play on a wooden board.

Fern
Festina Lente
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

The 2080 has pegs for the pieces in play, and a storage compartment for the captured and extra pieces. No need to lose any during play.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

JeffB wrote:The 2080 has pegs for the pieces in play, and a storage compartment for the captured and extra pieces. No need to lose any during play.
Pieces with pegs can come loose during play and slide off the board. You're on a plane and there is sudden turbulence or the person next to you bumps your arm -pieces go flying.

Sometimes nothing more happens than you miss placing the peg securely in the hole because you're distracted or whatever.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

The pieces shouldn't be loose enough in the peg board to pop out without serious force being applied from below. If they are that loose, then the foam rubber (or whatever it's made of) beneath the board may have worn out. If you're adventurous with tools you could probably replace it.

As far as missing the board due to distraction, I can only ask, What did she look like? :D

By the way, there are many chess computers that use the same pieces and some that use similar boards. I bought a few untested or nonfunctional units for cheap on eBay, just to have spare parts.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

JeffB wrote:The pieces shouldn't be loose enough in the peg board to pop out without serious force being applied from below. If they are that loose, then the foam rubber (or whatever it's made of) beneath the board may have worn out. If you're adventurous with tools you could probably replace it.

As far as missing the board due to distraction, I can only ask, What did she look like? :D

By the way, there are many chess computers that use the same pieces and some that use similar boards. I bought a few untested or nonfunctional units for cheap on eBay, just to have spare parts.
Are you sure we're talking about the same board? I collect small portables. I don't know of any other unit that uses the same board as the 2080 and I don't know many that use the same pieces.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

JeffB wrote:The pieces shouldn't be loose enough in the peg board to pop out without serious force being applied from below. If they are that loose, then the foam rubber (or whatever it's made of) beneath the board may have worn out. If you're adventurous with tools you could probably replace it.

thew pother problem witjh those pieces is that they are too tiny and badly designed. I have lost more than a game because I did not see that the supposed pawn was a bishop
Festina Lente
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Radio Shack 1650 and SciSys Explorer, probably SciSys Travel Mate.

I like the design, but they did improve with the Express 16K/Cavalier/Champion Trainer (the smaller clamshell series).
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote: thew pother problem witjh those pieces is that they are too tiny and badly designed. I have lost more than a game because I did not see that the supposed pawn was a bishop
Some gave gotten around this problem by taking felt tipped pens and
putting a black dab on the tips of the white bishops, and a white dab
on the tips of the black bishops.
L
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

They'd better be careful or Steve B will give 'em hell for modifying a chess computer. :D
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

JeffB wrote:They'd better be careful or Steve B will give 'em hell for modifying a chess computer. :D
Sigh...
it seems everyone is modifying their chess computer these days
yet another example of present days humanity's descent to the dark biblical days of ...

Sodom and Gomorrah Regards
Steve