Mephisto milano nigel short at 12 Mhz

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
yoyo_chessboard

Mephisto milano nigel short at 12 Mhz

Post by yoyo_chessboard »

Hi
i have modified my mephisto milano which is now running nigel short engine at 12 Mhz instead of the 4.9152 Mhz from factory.

it was a difficult work of hardware and software modifications in order to make all work together at that clockrate, more than two times faster than the factory clockrate, respecting the time managment.
the clock is running at real time (not at 2.5 the initial speed) and all parts (keys, sensory membrane, leds) responds fluently.

what would be a good bunch of tests to see how it behaves in 'real world' ?

it is/was considered as the best of the 6502based board winning frequently against boards with more CPU power (68000 based for example).

i know that here some are against that type of modification(s), but on my side i think that the authors would have made that if they had the right components at the time they produced their boards.
I am convinced of that point and ihave studied many (almost all 6502 based baords) and started studying the mephisto baords with ed schroder programs( mondial II, supermondial II, montecarlo IV, milano, polgar, academy ...).

the next on my TODO list is Mephisto monte carlo IV which shares many things with Milano.

regards.