Novag Chess Printer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Dr. Axel Schumacher

Novag Chess Printer

Post by Dr. Axel Schumacher »

Hey,

I'm puzzled. I recently bought a Novag chess printer, because I thought it would connect to my Super Expert or my Constellation Expert. However, the adapter on the right side of the printer is too large to fit these units. (Interestingly, the printer looks different as on the package, where the connector is much smaller). :shock: Now I had a look in the instructions and only then I noticed that there seems to be a cable connection necessary. However, both my Super Expert as well as my Constellation Expert did not came with this cable. It was also not included with the printer. So, is there a possibility to get the cable somewhere or is there an alternative way to connect the printer?
Help is appreciated. Thanks.

10 Print Regards
20 Goto 10

Axel
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Novag Chess Printer

Post by Steve B »

Dr. Axel Schumacher wrote:Hey,

I'm puzzled. I recently bought a Novag chess printer, because I thought it would connect to my Super Expert or my Constellation Expert. However, the adapter on the right side of the printer is too large to fit these units. (Interestingly, the printer looks different as on the package, where the connector is much smaller). :shock: Now I had a look in the instructions and only then I noticed that there seems to be a cable connection necessary. However, both my Super Expert as well as my Constellation Expert did not came with this cable. It was also not included with the printer. So, is there a possibility to get the cable somewhere or is there an alternative way to connect the printer?

10 Print Regards
20 Goto 10

Axel
Sadly Axel the only way to connect the printer is with the cable
the reason you did not receive the cable when you acquired the Printer is because ,oddly enough, the cable was included with the computer and not the printer
actually the reason for this is when the printer was first released it was to be used for the Novag Robot and Super Sensor IV and other computers and the computer was attached to the printer by sliding the printer into a slot next to the computer
the cable was needed for later models and so sold with the computer itself

you can see the cable here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 922171918/

this is one of those items that will be very hard to find alone..hopefully you will not need to buy another computer just to get the cable
you cant imagine how many times i had to buy another example of the same computer just to get a missing box or manual

Collecting Can Be A Brutal Hobby Regards
Steve
Larry

Re: Novag Chess Printer

Post by Larry »

Dr. Axel Schumacher wrote:Hey,

10 Print Regards
20 Goto 10

Axel
Hello Axel,
Your post prompted me to try my Novag printer out, which came with
a Novag Super Forte C about a year ago. Never bothered trying it until
now. Mine works fine on my Constellation Expert. The text on my box is in German, and I also notice
that the signal jack on the side of the printer in the picture on the box
is too small for the printer lead that I got with it.

You said your SE and Connie Expert did not come with the connection
lead? This means, presumably, that you did not purchase these machines
new. I bought my Connie Expert used, and it also came with no printer
lead.

The best you can do next is, IMO, contact Novag themselves, and ask
them if they can help. I've heard they are rather good at responding, and
helping when they can, unlike some others.
hope this helps in some small way
best of luck
Larry
larryadler

Post by larryadler »

I dig up the centuries-old topic, because I have some questions (ashamed to create new topics):

1: Is it a thermal printer? Doesn't need any ink, or any form of it?

2: Is there somewhere a list of compatible computers?

3: Machine worth 40 euro?
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

1: Is it a thermal printer? Doesn't need any ink, or any form of it?

2: Is there somewhere a list of compatible computers?

3: Machine worth 40 euro?
1. Yes, it's a thermal printer. No ink, just thermal paper.

2. Though not exactly a list of compatible machines, this schach-computer.info article (http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... per_System) has good information about the Novag Super System (the printer worked with the early members of this class of machines).

3. That depends on you, I suppose. I've seen the printers go for up to $100USD (probably about 80EUR).
Cheers,

Jeff B.