Igor 711E-2

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paulwise3

Igor 711E-2

Post by paulwise3 »

As it is rather quiet on this forum and even Fernando does not open a new discussion ;-), I just might enter this subject. The Igor 2, look-a-like of the original tacky Igor which had a strong program.
The Igor 711E-2 has lots of nice options, among them the option for a rotating display showing best move, evaluation value, search depth and thinking time. Also the choice between random moves or only best move. And much more. The only feature it does not have is a strong program :-(.
It's maximum search depth is 9 ply, and my tests show that it probably is a little weaker then the Excalibur Saber IV.

So a nice computer for the 1300-1450 elo's among us, if you don't mind that it has no normal tournament level. The longest average thinking time per move is 79 seconds, or else game in up to 60 minutes...

Strange levels regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Irrawang

Post by Irrawang »

I picked up a 711-E2 cheap on eBay a few years back and was disappointed with its strength as I expected the same program as the GM. Nonetheless it still provides an entertaining game. I love the corny metallic voice and sound effects. It's a shame that Excalibur were so vague about the details of their computers.
Always pays to read the manual.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Irrawang wrote:I picked up a 711-E2 cheap on eBay a few years back and was disappointed with its strength as I expected the same program as the GM. Nonetheless it still provides an entertaining game. I love the corny metallic voice and sound effects. It's a shame that Excalibur were so vague about the details of their computers.
Yep, when I got it a few weeks ago I was also disappointed to discover that it was not the original Igor. Luckily I did not pay the price you would assume for the original, but still a little more then I would normally pay for a machine below 1400 elo. But the compensation is that it is in mint condition, complete with original box and manual. And apart from it's strength and the curious levels, it has a lot of features that you wish the Grandmaster had, plus the corny voice and sound effects.
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

paulwise3 wrote:
Irrawang wrote:I picked up a 711-E2 cheap on eBay a few years back and was disappointed with its strength as I expected the same program as the GM. Nonetheless it still provides an entertaining game. I love the corny metallic voice and sound effects. It's a shame that Excalibur were so vague about the details of their computers.
Yep, when I got it a few weeks ago I was also disappointed to discover that it was not the original Igor. Luckily I did not pay the price you would assume for the original, but still a little more then I would normally pay for a machine below 1400 elo. But the compensation is that it is in mint condition, complete with original box and manual. And apart from it's strength and the curious levels, it has a lot of features that you wish the Grandmaster had, plus the corny voice and sound effects.
For old farts like me and many others here the fact of a comp having a low playing level is a exciting feature because we lose our skill, which was never that great, by the day or at most by the week.

CC7 regards

Fern
Festina Lente
Irrawang

Post by Irrawang »

You can try to compensate for the computers lack of strength by taking a piece off. I've given the Tandy 1650 extra moves by playing 1.Nf3, 2.Ng1, 3.Nf3, 4.Ng1, but that wasn't as good as giving up a piece. [/quote]
Always pays to read the manual.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote: For old farts like me and many others here the fact of a comp having a low playing level is a exciting feature because we lose our skill, which was never that great, by the day or at most by the week.

CC7 regards

Fern
Exactly
Just yesterday i crushed the Novag 2Robot in a game at level 2
did the fact that i beat a low rated computer at one of its lowest levels in any way detract from the thrill of my victory
absolutely not

I Am A Chess God Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote: For old farts like me and many others here the fact of a comp having a low playing level is a exciting feature because we lose our skill, which was never that great, by the day or at most by the week.

CC7 regards

Fern
Exactly
Just yesterday i crushed the Novag 2Robot in a game at level 2
did the fact that i beat a low rated computer at one of its lowest levels in any way detract from the thrill of my victory
absolutely not

I Am A Chess God Regards
Steve
HHahahaha absolutely not.
At most we could concede that we are minor gods-

Just defeating Fritz 14 regards
Fern
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

To be honest, I like to play a weak computer, e.g. the Saber IV, using "experimental" openings and still beating it...

Feels great regards,
Paul