Saitek talking chess academy not responding

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
CompDad

Saitek talking chess academy not responding

Post by CompDad »

HI all,

First, I like to say that I enjoy very much this community, and have great pleasure reading your posts, dedicated computer talk, analysis, tournaments, ELO rating, etc.

Now to the point:

I have a Saitek Talking Chess Academy that I like to play a lot, for its learning features and
I find talking computers more fun than the others and this Saitek I consider the best talking computer among the others.

That said, I am very sad to discover today that it became erratic, not responding to key press, not responding to piece press, practically locked.

I tried the ACL several times with no results. I have tried a power adapter, new batteries and the result is always the same.

I kindly ask if someone here have had any experience like this in one of your computer and if there any hope in recover mine.

I thank you in advance.

Warm Regards

CompDad
X__Gandalf__X

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

I've got no personal experience, but did you press the ACL for 'at least one second'?

From Manual:

5.1 The ACL Function
Computers can sometimes “lock up” due to static
discharge or other electrical disturbances. If this should
happen, use a pin or another sharp object to press into
the hole marked
ACL
in the base of the unit for at least
one second. This resets the computer
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

I'm glad to say that after I tried all the things possible, I left my Saitek Kasparov Talking Chess Academy rest without batteries for more than 3 weeks and today I decided to give another try and guess what, the computer is working flawlessly!!! :lol:

I have no idea what have happened, maybe it wanted just some vacancies? Or a gremlin decided to go away?

Now I'm super happy, although I had bought another one on ebay, this time the Mephisto one, that is on its way to my home. It will be a spare now!!

Now I want a third one, the Schachacademy, speaking German. If someone have a spare one and want to sell for a reasonable price, just PM me.

Best Sunday in ages!!

Miracles exists regards
X__Gandalf__X

Academy

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

CompDad wrote:
Now I want a third one, the Schachacademy, speaking German. If someone have a spare one and want to sell for a reasonable price, just PM me.

Miracles exists regards
pm sent
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

sounds like just static. It's Nature's way of telling you that you should play less chess with inanimate objects.
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
Four.nine

Post by Four.nine »

Try one more thing:

Remove all power...including batteries

Paper clip ACL...don't let go.
Now, Keep holding ACL IN and plug in "live" power adapter cord to the unit, with ACL still "paper clipped"
Release ACL.
Don't worry about seconds...this happens instantaneously.

Best of luck.
Four.nine

Post by Four.nine »

Four.nine wrote:Try one more thing:

Remove all power...including batteries

Paper clip ACL...don't let go.
Now, Keep holding ACL IN and plug in "live" power adapter cord to the unit, with ACL still "paper clipped"
Release ACL.
Don't worry about seconds...this happens instantaneously.

Best of luck.
Sorry...I did not read full thread and saw that your unit had recovered.
Best of luck with it...as stated by someone else, it was likely a static discharge.