DGT Chess Board Questions

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
X__Gandalf__X

DGT Chess Board Questions

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

I've won an E-Bay auction for a DGT Chess Board with pieces but no clock.

Before it arrives, I'm considering my options regarding how to set it up.

I'm considering connecting it to my Android tablet, and using the 'Acid Ape Chess' app which allows me to use lots of engines.

Q1 - Acid Ape Test includes a clock display, so will I need to buy a physical clock? If so, which one would you recommend with this set up?

Q2 - Has anybody here got experience with a similar set up?

Any advice gratefully received!
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

If you're playing against an engine via an app, you shouldn't need a physical clock. The DGT boards use a special connected physical clock for two main reasons : during tournament play just like a regular chess clock, and when playing against an engine of online opponent to display the time and the opponent's move (to alleviate the need to otherwise check the computer screen to see the move). This allows a more tournament-like experience even when playing online.

One thing I hate about DGT connected clocks is the serious lag time between making a move and seeing it on the display. Otherwise, they're good clocks.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
X__Gandalf__X

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

JeffB wrote:If you're playing against an engine via an app, you shouldn't need a physical clock. The DGT boards use a special connected physical clock for two main reasons : during tournament play just like a regular chess clock, and when playing against an engine of online opponent to display the time and the opponent's move (to alleviate the need to otherwise check the computer screen to see the move).
That's very helpful - I intend playing via the app against an engine, so it looks like I won't need to invest in a clock. Many thanks.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

If you ever do decide to get a clock, make sure to get a DGT connected clock. Their latest model (called DGT-Pi, I think) has a built-in set of chess engines, so you can use your board sort-of like a standalone chess computer.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
X__Gandalf__X

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

JeffB wrote:If you ever do decide to get a clock, make sure to get a DGT connected clock. Their latest model (called DGT-Pi, I think) has a built-in set of chess engines, so you can use your board sort-of like a standalone chess computer.
Thanks again. That's good advice. I did consider the DGT-Pi, but the cost of around £220 put me off. The Acid Ape Chess android app (beta) is free, and works well with engines such as Stockfish 8, and it's getting good reviews I'll give that a try and see how it goes. If I do decide I want a clock I'll make sure it's DGT.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Do they have a driver that connects to the DGT board? If so, that's great.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi,

If you decide to go down the DGT Pi route or simply to use the Raspberry Pi, then I can help you, click the link below for PicoChess Info.

However I’m just off for a cruise around the Baltics, I’m back online from the 17th.

Cheers,

Al
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

I've been using my bluetooth DGT board with my Android tablet running Acid Ape Chess, and it runs great. No need for an external clock, as Acid Ape has a nice big display. I have a 10" tablet, which I turn over to portrait mode. One of the nice things about this is you can throttle the strength of the engines way down by using the strength slider, in 5% increments, all the way down to 0%. At least, I know you can do this with Stockfish (I haven't tried the other engines, yet).
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Tracy,

Yes PicoChess supports levels, Stockfish has 20 in 5% increments. We use UCI Engines, so as long as the Engines support UCI options Handicap, LimitStrength, SkillLevel or Strength then Levels are available.

Examples include Texel, Arasan, Galjoen & Zurichess. Rodent III has personalities and is quite entertaining.

With the update of PicoChess v0.9n & Revelation II v3.25F a DGT 3000 & DGT Pi Clock is no longer required, just a RPi. The Revelation II now supports 11 character displays and it’s Keys emulate those of the clocks.

Cheers,

Al.