Sargon 3 on steroids

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Sargon 3 on steroids

Post by Fernando »

Any of you guys has ever played Sargon 3 at its best setting in modern comp and at level f5, 2 minutes per move in average?
My guess: it plays at at least 2200 Elo level.
Your opinion please...

Fern
Festina Lente
Martin Hertz

Post by Martin Hertz »

Hi Fern,

I've made some tests with the PC version of Sargon 3 and it turns out, that it is much weaker than the 68000 version.
I assume a not accurate porting from 68000 to 8086. But being fast enough, makes also a weak program hard to beat.
The old DOS programs are around 10000 times faster on a fast PC compared to a 8088 @ 4.77 MHz. I've made a test
with the Chess Player 2150, a pretty weak Shannon B program on Lichess, to check the strenght @ 3.3 GHz and to see,
if Lichess is able to detect the cheat. I've played hundreds of games, without being banned with a rating of around
2450 Elo. I estimate a Lichess rating of 1600-1700 Elo with a 8088 CPU.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

So, according to what you say, Sargon 3 well could be at least a 2100 player or so. I am beginning to believe that ANY old dos program no matter how weak in his years, today in fast PC is an expert level player just because even a simple program considering only material values becomes strong enough if going beyond 8 ply in middle game.

Or not?

Fern
Festina Lente
Martin Hertz

Post by Martin Hertz »

Yes, the enormous speed makes the programs much stronger tactically, but not that much positionally.
One of the weakest seems to be Rival Chess DOS, at least it's significantly weaker than Turbo-Chess.
To play against the modern engines is senseless. I assume that programs like ChessGenius or M-Chess
are able to win a tournament against the top players of the world on nowadays speed.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Martin Hertz wrote:Yes, the enormous speed makes the programs much stronger tactically, but not that much positionally.
One of the weakest seems to be Rival Chess DOS, at least it's significantly weaker than Turbo-Chess.
To play against the modern engines is senseless. I assume that programs like ChessGenius or M-Chess
are able to win a tournament against the top players of the world on nowadays speed.
yes, positionally you still can see in them big mistakes and take advantage, but chess is won or lost mostly in a tactical level, so in any time they catch you and once you lose one or two pawns, no matter your positional advantage you are lost.

Fern
Festina Lente