Mephisto Modular MMV + HG550 compatibility

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
maxjeezus

Mephisto Modular MMV + HG550 compatibility

Post by maxjeezus »

Hello everyone, I'm Massimo from Italy and this is my first post on Hiarcs Forum.
I hope you can help me since there's little information online about my problem and most af all are in german.

I own a Mephisto Modular MMV and some days ago bought on eBay a HG550 aperture module. When I turn on the chessboard it doesn't show me the message I expected "HG55" but the usual "PLAY". It seems that the MMV doesn't recognize the HG550.

How can I verify if the two modules can work togheter? The seller assured me that the HG550 was correcltly functioning.

Is there something I can do?

Thanku and ciao from Italy, Massimo
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Mephisto Modular MMV + HG550 compatibility

Post by Steve B »

maxjeezus wrote:Hello everyone, I'm Massimo from Italy and this is my first post on Hiarcs Forum.
I hope you can help me since there's little information online about my problem and most af all are in german.

I own a Mephisto Modular MMV and some days ago bought on eBay a HG550 aperture module. When I turn on the chessboard it doesn't show me the message I expected "HG55" but the usual "PLAY". It seems that the MMV doesn't recognize the HG550.

How can I verify if the two modules can work togheter? The seller assured me that the HG550 was correcltly functioning.

Is there something I can do?

Thanku and ciao from Italy, Massimo
Welcome to the Forum Massimo

the display should show HG55 as soon as you turn on the computer
try re-arranging the modules in the module bay
make sure all 3 modules are firmly inserted

Cant Drive 55 Regards
Steve
maxjeezus

Post by maxjeezus »

Hello, I'm here again.
Today I find the information about the fact that Mephisto MMV was produced in two versions.
By pressing MEM and INFO the display modul shows the current version of the software. My Mephisto is 5.1, the second version.
Maybe is this the reason why it didn't recognize the HG550 modul?
Thanku, max
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

maxjeezus wrote: My Mephisto is 5.1, the second version.
Maybe is this the reason why it didn't recognize the HG550 modul?
Sorry no
my MM5 is a 5.1 and it works with the HG550

nn 5.1 Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

something else just occurred to me

sometimes..for whatever reason.. a Mephisto program module will not work with a specific display module
i remember an example of this i experienced once

i have an MMII and HG240 book module
they will work with most 8 bit display modules i own but not with others
when they dont work they show garbled info in the display and i cannot make a move
the 8 bit display modules that wont work with the MMII will work fine with another MMII module i have as well as other 8 bit modules(such as the Mirage,B&P,Rebel,MMIV...etc...etc..)

so....as a long shot....try a different display module ...

Modules On Display Regards
Steve