How are Millenium ChessGenius Exclusive settings stored?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Yarc

How are Millenium ChessGenius Exclusive settings stored?

Post by Yarc »

I have bought a MCGE but it's a Christmas present so cannot use it until then :) :o

I was wondering if the current game and preference settings such as language, pondering etc., are saved even with no power connected. On the German forum it was suggested that there may be a rechargeable battery, but I have found no mention of this in the manual. Does anyone know if user settings and the current game are retained even when the unit is unplugged?

Battery backed regards
Ray
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: How are Millenium ChessGenius Exclusive settings stored?

Post by Steve B »

Yarc wrote:I have bought a MCGE but it's a Christmas present so cannot use it until then :) :o

I was wondering if the current game and preference settings such as language, pondering etc., are saved even with no power connected. On the German forum it was suggested that there may be a rechargeable battery, but I have found no mention of this in the manual. Does anyone know if user settings and the current game are retained even when the unit is unplugged?

Battery backed regards
Ray
Hi Ray
well yes and no
if you unplug the unit for a short period of time...say less then an hour then all settings and game are saved
however if you leave it unplugged for longer...say a few weeks.. then the computer reverts back to factory settings

Short Term Memory Regards
Steve
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Steve B wrote:
Hi Ray
well yes and no
if you unplug the unit for a short period of time...say less then an hour then all settings and game are saved
however if you leave it unplugged for longer...say a few weeks.. then the computer reverts back to factory settings

Short Term Memory Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info on short term memory. That is useful in cases of maybe having to move the computer to plug in somewhere else, or if there is a momentary power-cut, which do occur sometimes, and can be very annoying.

Power-cut Defence Regards
Ray
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Yarc wrote: Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info on short term memory. That is useful in cases of maybe having to move the computer to plug in somewhere else, or if there is a momentary power-cut, which do occur sometimes, and can be very annoying.
Ray
Yarc wrote: I have bought a MCGE but it's a Christmas present so cannot use it until then
i have to say you have more will power then i do
cant imagine actually having a new chess computer in my possession and NOT opening it up until Xmas
BTW...dont forget to avail yourself of the PGN feature which can be downloaded from the Millenium site
a nice easy way to record your games
and one final tip...
its a good idea to get a second set of pieces
remember ..with a piece recognition board...if one piece goes bad you cant play a game

An Early Merry Christmas Regards
Steve
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Steve B wrote:
Yarc wrote: Hi Steve,
Ray
Yarc wrote: I have bought a MCGE but it's a Christmas present so cannot use it until then
i have to say you have more will power then i do
cant imagine actually having a new chess computer in my possession and NOT opening it up until Xmas
BTW...dont forget to avail yourself of the PGN feature which can be downloaded from the Millenium site
a nice easy way to record your games

An Early Merry Christmas Regards
Steve
It's certainly difficult, but as my Father put money into it as an Xmas gift, it's only right that I honour this. Still very frustrating though!! I did give it an initial check to make sure it worked. Must say I think it looks very good, and the piece recognition is very nice indeed. My first dedicated with this technology.

I have been following the release of this machine for some time and have already downloaded the PGN tool and purchased the required USB lead.

I know you are aware of the new King engine module coming out next year. This is very exciting news and I'm definitely going to get that. I have e-mailed Millennium recently and they have told me that they are currently deciding whether the new module will contain newer hardware. Not sure what this could be, but it sounds good!

I also know that within the next few days a new opening book is going to be available.

Do you know what the new Lang engine update will bring? All I know is that it's going to be a free update.

Exclusive Updates Regards
Ray
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Steve B wrote:and one final tip...
remember ..with a piece recognition board...if one piece goes bad you cant play a game
Steve
That's a very good point. I see that Millennium sell them for 99 Euros. Do you know a cheaper place?

Cheaper Spares Regards
Ray
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Yarc wrote:Do you know what the new Lang engine update will bring? All I know is that it's going to be a free update.
no..but to be honest i could do without anymore Lang Engines ..updated or downdated...
Yarc wrote:
Steve B wrote:and one final tip...
Steve
That's a very good point. I see that Millennium sell them for 99 Euros. Do you know a cheaper place?

Cheaper Spares Regards
Ray
bought my second set here:
same price
http://www.topschach.de/ersatzfiguren-c ... n1ceakfrl1

Worth The Investment Regards
Steve
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Steve B wrote:no..but to be honest i could do without anymore Lang Engines ..updated or downdated...
:lol: I know what you mean, but at least it's free.
Steve B wrote: bought my second set here:
same price
http://www.topschach.de/ersatzfiguren-c ... n1ceakfrl1

Worth The Investment Regards
Steve
Thanks for the link. I'll have to seriously consider the spare set.

Emptying The Piggy Bank Regards
Ray
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi, I am wondering how you all are going to use your new Exclusive.
As both engines are about 2400 elo, one might expect you are swept from the board, is that any fun?

Carnelian II regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
mclane

Post by mclane »

You can reduce playing strength by reducing MHz from 300 MHz to 50 in steps of 50 MHz.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

paulwise3 wrote:Hi, I am wondering how you all are going to use your new Exclusive.
As both engines are about 2400 elo, one might expect you are swept from the board, is that any fun?

Carnelian II regards,
Paul
It's my crazy hobby to own chess computers. Do I only buy the machines I can beat? If so, I would not have any :lol:

My First Piece Recognition Dedicated Regards
Ray
Last edited by Yarc on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

mclane wrote:You can reduce playing strength by reducing MHz from 300 MHz to 50 in steps of 50 MHz.
Yes, that is such a good feature that I will no doubt be playing with. If that doesn't weaken its play enough I can always pull the plug!

Mans Superiority Over Machine Regards
Ray
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Yarc wrote: If that doesn't weaken its play enough I can always pull the plug!
not so fast
my record against dedicated computers turned off...

5 wins 2 draws 15 losses

Hopeless Regards
Steve
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Steve B wrote: not so fast

5 wins 2 draws 15 losses

Hopeless Regards
Steve
Ha ha!

What the computer doesn't know is that I will be playing suicide chess, that with no power might give me an edge.

Change The Rules To Win Regards
Ray
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Steve B wrote:
Yarc wrote: If that doesn't weaken its play enough I can always pull the plug!
not so fast

5 wins 2 draws 15 losses

Hopeless Regards
Steve
Losing from a turned off computer sounds interesting.
I guess you were playing against yourself, so if there were 15 losses there should also be 15 wins! :-P

Mathematical regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...