Considering a DGT board

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
TracySMiller

Considering a DGT board

Post by TracySMiller »

I have some questions I think some of you are in a good position to answer. First of all, let me say that I love Dedicated Chess Computers, but I also love the other world of chess engines, chess software, really any AI that plays chess. I already have a Novag Citrine, which I love because it has its own engine, but I can also use it to play against other engines via Arena on my computer.

Lately I've been champing at the bit to get one of those beautiful DGT chessboards. Are there any advantages of having one versus the Novag Citrine, other than the bigger and nicer board and pieces, and also maybe a more stable interface (sometimes the Citrine can be a little wonky with the move transmission)?

And then, if I DO decide to buy a DGT board, are there advantages to buying the Bluetooth model over the USB model, which is $100-$200 cheaper? For example, with the Bluetooth model, I'm assuming I could additionally play against engines running on my Android tablets or smartphone, whereas maybe I can't if I have the USB model?

Lastly, if I CAN use my tablet or smartphone with the DGT board, is there an advantage of getting something like the DGT Pi, which currently hosts 8 different engines, and is also a nice chess clock?

I don't really play people online anymore, although I can't rule out that I ever will. Most of what I do is just playing computer vs computer matches.

Thanks in advance for any advice. This forum is so great!
X__Gandalf__X

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

I have around 10 chess computers, and find I play my DGT Bluetooth more than any of the others. I don't have a Novag Citrine so can't compare.

My setup is similar to what you are considering.
I connect it via Bluetooth to my Android tablet.
Not many Android chess programs work with DGT.
I use Acid Ape Chess, which is a free download from here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... idapechess
Once you've downloaded Acid Ape Chess, you can install some additional engines to Acid Ape Chess from here (again, no cost):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... collection
This will give you a choice of 7 chess engines including Stockfish 8

Acid Ape Chess effectively acts as your chess clock, and gives visual and voice instructions for moves.
You can handicap Stockfish 8 via time controls, and / or reduced strength on a percentage basis (in 5% steps from 5% to 95%)

The DGT Pi is expensive, and would add little to my setup.
If you need a dedicated chess clock you might consider the DGT 3000 which is much cheaper (with less features).

Acid Ape Chess can connect via USB, but my internet search tells me most people struggle. The Bluetooth connection is very straight forward. The money you save by not buying the DGT Pi would (imho) be better spent on the extra cost of Bluetooth.

Here is a video of me demonstrating this setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkrXviaO8jg

If I can be of further help feel free to ask any questions on this thread.
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Thanks! That is great info. Nice video, too.
Wixxy

Post by Wixxy »

Hi Tracy,
I have a Dgt usb board and a Pi.All i can say is its a pleasure to play against.I have a large collection of around 80 chess computers but i do tend to play the dgt/ Pi the most purely for the joy of a lovely board and simplicity of set up.Also games can be sent to pc for analysis etc and of course pc engine gameplay which i do enjoy.Yes it is expensive but quite cheap on Topschach.de website.I purchased my MCG exclusive from them at a substantial price reduction from UK suppliers.Its also a nice wooden set but much smaller than a standard Dgt board and limited with just the one engine. Also ,a plastic dgt board is available at a much cheaper cost but you cant beat wood!
Horses for courses i guess but i do recommend.You get what you pay for in this world
Unbiased regards
Paul
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Thanks for the great info. I have made the plunge and order a DGT board with bluetooth. I'm going to hold off on the Pi for a while to see if I'm happy with using the board with my PC/laptop/tablet/phone with Acid Ape Chess. Got a great deal from Schach Niggeman.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Hi Tracy,

I have a wired DGT board. I built a picochess setup using a Raspberry Pi computer and DGT XL clock. It worked okay - but wasn't always reliable. I haven't used that setup in over a year - so perhaps the latest versions of picochess are more stable. I assume so with the DGT Pi project.

I also purchased a Gavon mini chess computer from Josu Ede - and that worked great with my DGT USB board. I purchased mine from Josu on eBay.

I eventually purchased a Revelation II chess computer (ended up getting a fantastic deal on it), which allows DGT board functionality through bluetooth. I must say - the bluetooth is nice. One less wire to mess with if you are connecting the board to a laptop. The connection has been very reliable.

I would go the DGT route over the Citrine (I own a Citrine). The DGT pieces are much nicer, and there is modern support for the DGT interface to PCs. The Citrine is a very nice stand alone computer - but I'd go with DGT for connectivity.

You won't go wrong either way with the DGT options.

Greg
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Got my DGT board today! I'm having so much fun with it. I decided to go with a Bluetooth board, from Schach Niggemann. Fantastic price and service! I'm going to hold off on the Pi for now. I've got it working with Arena and also with the free Fritz 14 they included. Tomorrow I'll probably try it with my phone running Acid Ape.
X__Gandalf__X

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

I'm glad you're happy with it!
TracySMiller

Problems with the DGT board

Post by TracySMiller »

OK, I'm having great fun with my new DGT board, and also some headaches. When I play against engines using Acid Ape Chess, on either my phone or my tablet, it works great. I also have played online on Lichess against a live opponent with no problem.

However, when I try to play a program like Fritz, or Arena, or Lucas Chess through my laptop, I can never get more than three or four moves into a game before the program crashes. I've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling using the latest drivers from the DGT website, but this didn't help. I have both the 32 and 64-bit drivers installed, as suggested by the instructions. Very frustrating, as I was looking forward to using the board with Lucas Chess to do a lot of training.

Anyone else have this issue? The laptop I'm using is a Samsung running Windows 7.
X__Gandalf__X

Re: Problems with the DGT board

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

TracySMiller wrote:OK, I'm having great fun with my new DGT board, and also some headaches. When I play against engines using Acid Ape Chess, on either my phone or my tablet, it works great. I also have played online on Lichess against a live opponent with no problem.

However, when I try to play a program like Fritz, or Arena, or Lucas Chess through my laptop, I can never get more than three or four moves into a game before the program crashes. I've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling using the latest drivers from the DGT website, but this didn't help. I have both the 32 and 64-bit drivers installed, as suggested by the instructions. Very frustrating, as I was looking forward to using the board with Lucas Chess to do a lot of training.

Anyone else have this issue? The laptop I'm using is a Samsung running Windows 7.
Mine worked with Fritz ok. The fact that several PC Chess programs crash would lead me to believe it's likely to be a problem relating to the Samsung. When it crashes, do you see a crash report that you can google? Suggest you try it with a different PC if possible, and if that works, you'll know where the problem is.
X__Gandalf__X

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

Are you using the latest Rabbit Plugin?

This DGT page makes reference to crashes on Fritz and provides a Rabbit Plugin link:

http://www.digitalgametechnology.com/in ... 0-27-64bit
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have that latest version of the RabbitPlugin installed. I will definitely try using a different laptop. If it works fine with it I'll have to assume something is going on with my Samsung laptop. In the meantime, I'm running a bunch of anti-malware scans.
GONeill

Post by GONeill »

Try searching your machine for the DGTEBDLL.dll file and copy that into the Arena and LucasChess main directories. It's the main DLL in the Rabbit plugin and is what those programs call to access the DGT. I know this because it's the file I replace with my own driver to use the Novag UCB with those programs.

Fritz on the other hand seems to access the DGT differently so I'm not sure if it will help there.
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Thanks for the suggestions, GONeill. In the meantime, I did try things on a different laptop, a Lenovo. I was able to play complete games in both Arena and Lucas Chess, so I definitely think something going on with my Samsung.

BTW, don't believe for a second that if you take some of those strong Arena engines and drop its strength down to 1%, it'll be easy to beat. Well, not for a woodpusher such as myself!
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

OK, I've since learned that most of those engines are UCI, which the Strength setting in Arena has no effect on. Explains a lot. Apparently, only UCI2 engines are adjustable, if I'm not mistaken.