A nice little (human) win over Fidelity Designer 2000

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

A nice little (human) win over Fidelity Designer 2000

Post by Reinfeld »

Nice is subjective, of course, but I was happy with it. It helps to have a few opening manuals hanging around. This is a Scotch game. You can see a fast play through here - https://lichess.org/rk0Bh4FE#30, or lounge around with my clumsy annotations and diagrams.

[Date "Jan 13, 2018"]
[White "Reinfeld"]
[Black "Designer 2000"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "?"]
[BlackElo "?"]
[ECO "C45"]
[Opening "Scotch Game: Mieses Variation"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nxc6 bxc6 6. e5 { C45 Scotch Game: Mieses Variation } Qe7 7. Qe2 Nd5 8. c4 Ba6 9. b3 Qb4+ 10. Bd2 Qc5 11. Qe4 Nb4 12. Bc3 Bb7 13. a3 Na6 14. b4 Qe7 15. c5 O-O-O

D2000 fell into a standard series of opening moves here, exhausting its book at move 9, but continuing to play known moves until move 15. Castling long probably wasn't the best option, with all my Q-side pawns already bearing down.

[fen]2kr1b1r/pbppqppp/n1p5/2P1P3/1P2Q3/P1B5/5PPP/RN2KB1R w KQ - 1 16[/fen]

As you can see, this setup isn't hard to play (one reason I like the Scotch). The choices are pretty simple: which piece to bring into the fray first? I chose the Knight, since I knew it would take slightly longer to get it going.

16. Nd2 g6 17. Nf3 Bg7 18. Bc4 f5 19. Qd3 Nb8 20. O-O h5 21. Rfe1 h4

[fen]1nkr3r/pbppq1b1/2p3p1/2P1Pp2/1PB4p/P1BQ1N2/5PPP/R3R1K1 w - - 0 22[/fen]

My little board is having trouble. D2000 was set at default, level 6 (5s/move), so I wasn't trying to set myself any big challenges. Not seeing any obvious way to uncramp itself, it just starts a futile pawn march down the h file, which goes nowhere. I was lucky enough to spot a simple tactic at move 23, which allowed me trade off his good bishop.

22. h3 Rde8 23. e6 Bxc3 24. exd7+ Qxd7 25. Qxc3 Qd8 26. Be6+ Nd7 27. Qc4 Kb8 28. Rad1 Bc8 29. a4 Re7

[fen]1kbq3r/p1pnr3/2p1B1p1/2P2p2/PPQ4p/5N1P/5PP1/3RR1K1 w - - 1 30[/fen]

I missed the fastest way here, but the slow walk of the a-pawn still works reasonably enough, and D2000, unwilling to sac for activity's sake, helps me along.

30. a5 Ree8 31. Qb3 f4 32. Ne5 Ka8 33. Nxc6 Qf6 34. Qd5 Nb6

[fen]k1b1r2r/p1p5/1nN1Bqp1/P1PQ4/1P3p1p/7P/5PP1/3RR1K1 w - - 3 35[/fen]

After this suicide, it's just a mop-up. But the closing sequence is nifty.

35. axb6 Rxe6 36. b7+ Kxb7 37. Rxe6 Qf5

[fen]2b4r/pkp5/2N1R1p1/2PQ1q2/1P3p1p/7P/5PP1/3R2K1 w - - 1 38[/fen]

38. Ra1! Qb1+ (38. Qxd5 Rxa7#) 39. Rxb1 Bxe6 40. Na5+ Kc8 41. Qxe6+ Kb8 42. Qa6 g5 43. Qb7# 1-0

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

:) It’s refreshing to behold a human victory over the silicon beast for a change!

Dragon Slayer Regards,
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Cyberchess wrote::) It’s refreshing to behold a human victory over the silicon beast for a change!

Dragon Slayer Regards,
John
Yes it is. It is like with one victory you erase and forget the hundreds of defeats. So what? We get our pleasure wherever it is, poor creatures as we are.

Ecclesiastes regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Fernando wrote:
Cyberchess wrote::) It’s refreshing to behold a human victory over the silicon beast for a change!

Dragon Slayer Regards,
John
Yes it is. It is like with one victory you erase and forget the hundreds of defeats. So what? We get our pleasure wherever it is, poor creatures as we are.

Ecclesiastes regards
Fern
Greetings Fern:

Isn’t it a pity that we just can’t win in this life? Recall how when we were very young we were not permitted to venture out of our homes without supervision; how we watched cars whiz by, but were told that we were too young to drive. Then, before you know it, you’re unable to venture forth on a lengthy road trip unless you plan on pulling over to the side of the road for periodic naps, and you can’t quite remember your destination anyhow.

It seems like just the other day I was caught up in the following quandary: do I keep the new Novag Super Connie that I purchased from I.C.D. on a trial basis, or do I return it for a refund and hold out for a stronger playing successor? Initially I had been quite impressed by the Super Connie’s handling of sharp, tactical, unclear positions and tactical positions in general, enjoyed the relatively large opening book, wealth of features and styling on a pressure sensory unit, and had planned on keeping her. But like a young lady on her best behavior hoping to receive a vow, Super Connie, emboldened by my seeming contentment, steadily began to misbehave in formal situations, so, without shedding a tear, I dutifully relegated her to a street corner in Hong Kong, and waited 2 full years to replace her with the faux wood motif Novag Forte unit.

Having been placed on the I.C.D. mailing list, I felt completely vindicated in my decision when I received the following article:

“Pity the Poor Chess Computer Buyer” by Steven Schwartz

http://www.stmintz.com/ccc/index.php?id=278953

Life: if it ain’t one thing it’s another regards,
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Cyberchess wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Dragon Slayer Regards,
John

Ecclesiastes regards
Fern
Greetings Fern:

Isn’t it a pity that we just can’t win in this life? Recall how when we were very young we were not permitted to venture out of our homes without supervision; how we watched cars whiz by, but were told that we were too young to drive. Then, before you know it, you’re unable to venture forth on a lengthy road trip unless you plan on pulling over to the side of the road for periodic naps, and you can’t quite remember your destination anyhow.

It seems like just the other day I was caught up in the following quandary: do I keep the new Novag Super Connie that I purchased from I.C.D. on a trial basis, or do I return it for a refund and hold out for a stronger playing successor? Initially I had been quite impressed by the Super Connie’s handling of sharp, tactical, unclear positions and tactical positions in general, enjoyed the relatively large opening book, wealth of features and styling on a pressure sensory unit, and had planned on keeping her. But like a young lady on her best behavior hoping to receive a vow, Super Connie, emboldened by my seeming contentment, steadily began to misbehave in formal situations, so, without shedding a tear, I dutifully relegated her to a street corner in Hong Kong, and waited 2 full years to replace her with the faux wood motif Novag Forte unit.

Having been placed on the I.C.D. mailing list, I felt completely vindicated in my decision when I received the following article:

“Pity the Poor Chess Computer Buyer” by Steven Schwartz

http://www.stmintz.com/ccc/index.php?id=278953

Life: if it ain’t one thing it’s another regards,
John
Pal, we must be thankful that we are deceived all the time because it is trough deception we keep going on. Beware the one that knows everything from the beginning...
Remembrances from the future regards
fern
Festina Lente