DGT Centaur first impressions

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

I just start a new game. If this is the only problem with the Centaur, then it's fine by me.
nature abhors a vacuum cleaner
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Carrinthe wrote:
Centaur will probably try to avoid 3 fold repetition and 50 moves when he is the winning side because he does assess the position correctly.

hope this clarifies the situation
Thanks
will be interesting to see how the SSDF handles this issue when they get around to rating the Centaur..

3/50-5/75 Regards
Steve
Schachspieler

Post by Schachspieler »

Rob Appleby wrote:I just start a new game. If this is the only problem with the Centaur, then it's fine by me.
I also start a new game when I have a clear win (Q+Q+Q+K vs. K) :-)
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Several people @.info reported that you cannot set yes or no for castling rights when setup a position ... is this correct? :shock:

If yes, who made the beta tests?
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

Mythbuster wrote:Several people @.info reported that you cannot set yes or no for castling rights when setup a position ... is this correct? :shock:

If yes, who made the beta tests?
I haven't seen any setting for castling rights, so I assume you're right.

Of course, if the position you're interested in is part of an actual game, you can simply play the game through to that point, so that the castling information will be in the sequence of moves.

What is .info btw?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Rob Appleby wrote: I haven't seen any setting for castling rights, so I assume you're right.

What is .info btw?
That would be considered a bug in the program
they will probably correct that in future Sales of the Centaur
its not uncommon for bugs to show up in the very first units shipped of a new model released for sale
some collectors pass on the first shipments of a new model and wait a few months before they buy for that reason
(personally i dont do that ...usually too excited when a new model comes out to wait)

there are three main forums on the net that focus on computer chess

2 from Europe

Hiarcs

Schachcomputer.Info:
https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/portal.php

one in the US:

the CCC:
http://talkchess.com/forum3/index.php

Spanning The Globe Regards
Steve
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

All,

http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70895

"DGT Centaur uses Stockfish DD (Stockfish 4.5)"

Is that true Benny ?

Versionning Regards,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Schachspieler

Post by Schachspieler »

fdimeglio wrote:All,

http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70895

"DGT Centaur uses Stockfish DD (Stockfish 4.5)"

Is that true Benny ?

Versionning Regards,

Fabrice
Nope,- it is not Stockfish DD. As far I know, they're using one of the latest Stockfish. I will check the SD Card for the version.

Benny

PS:
For the castle-right you have to setup the position with the King and rook on the inital position, before you enter the setup-mode. If you don't want to have the castle-right, then you have to put the King on the board, after you entered the setup-mode. Easy, eh? ;-)
Morn

Post by Morn »

Schachspieler wrote: Nope,- it is not Stockfish DD. As far I know, they're using one of the latest Stockfish. I will check the SD Card for the version.
My guess is that somebody googled "stockfish" and "adaptive", found Stockfish DD, and then concocted this incredibly stupid theory without any supporting evidence. Thanks for clearing this up, Benny!

Meanwhile, here is my Centaur with the new wood pieces hard at work today analysing games from "Man vs. Machine: Challenging Human Supremacy at Chess". Lovely!

Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

So, has the sky fallen yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, my fuddy-duddy friend came round to play chess yesterday. We played our usual couple of around 1750 elo games (I'm guessing), after which I got out the Centaur to give him a go on it. He had fun. A lot of fun. This is someone who tends to despair in complex or disadvantageous situations and I often have to pursuade hìim not to resign by pointing out his options. Well, the Centaur does that too, with the hint function. So a couple of times during his game, he pressed the question mark to see how to proceed when his own analysis had lead him into a dead end, and ended up beating the machine.

This is a guy who actually has a Citrine but never uses it because he says he can't get his head around all the menu options and how to use it with the board-based command interface. He loved the Centaur.

So, I think that's the kind of user DGT is probably aiming at. Someone who doesn't necessarily want to have a deep analysis or loads of options and settings, but just wants to have a fun game and some help in difficult situations. It's a machine that can make you feel good about your chess.

Steve, thanks for the link to .info, I had a look at the Centaur thread.
Wixxy

Post by Wixxy »

After tracking the DHL delivery man online and a fast cycle home from work to intercept him,I'm happy to say I took delivery of my Centaur this lunchtime.
I must say I really like it! Literally plug and play,no faffing about.The size and weight of the pieces surprised me.Very nice to play with.Had a quick game before heading back to work (I lost)
Can't wait to spend tomorrow night playing against it.
Well done DGT,a winner for me
Contented chess player
Regards
Paul
Chessnut

Post by Chessnut »

@Wixxy,

Glad you're enjoying your Centaur, where did you purchase it?

(I'm still waiting for mine from Doska Chess in the UK).

Regards,

Keith
programmierbär

Post by programmierbär »

Hi Benny,

Schachspieler wrote:
PS:
For the castle-right you have to setup the position with the King and rook on the inital position, before you enter the setup-mode. If you don't want to have the castle-right, then you have to put the King on the board, after you entered the setup-mode. Easy, eh? ;-)
I've tried it, but I can't recreate it. First, I took all pieces off the board, entered the setup mode and put king and all rooks on the right places. Centaur accepted a castle.
What have I done wrong?

Regards,
Lars
Wixxy

Post by Wixxy »

@Chessnut
Ordered mine from Topschach in Germany.Ordered on 22May
Regards
Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Me too, Keith, hopefully it shouldn't be too long now!