Found a Saitek Kasparov Conquistador.

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
MarioFanaticXV

Found a Saitek Kasparov Conquistador.

Post by MarioFanaticXV »

I'm not that good at chess; I play maybe around the 1400 range, though I've never been officially ranked, and can only see about three moves ahead. But I've always loved the game- but I love too many games to focus on one and really learn chess in-depth. Still, I love its history, and when I saw this at the thrift store, I had to have it.

It looks to be in pretty good condtion- all the pieces are there, and it's very clean minus a small bit of tape residue and the price tag, both of which should be pretty easy to clean off. I don't have an AC adapter or the 4 Cs to try it out yet, but judging by its appearance, I'm pretty optimistic about it working.

However, I'm having a hard time finding the manual in English. I have managed to find it in French and German, but English seems to be harder to come by. I don't suppose anyone can help me with this? Worse comes to worst, I can try putting the French or German into Google Translate, but manually retyping all of that is going to be a hassle, and you know how machine translations are.

I posted this message on Reddit originally, and someone there suggested I try these forums.
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi,

You obviously looked on Alain’s site as it only has the French and German manuals for the Conquistador.

Someone here will say that it is similar to the xxxxx, my guess is it’s similar to the Team Mate:

http://alain.zanchetta.free.fr/docs/Mis ... amMate.pdf

I expect to be corrected ....

Al.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

According to schach-computer.info, it's a clone of the SciSys Turbo 16k, which also has the dual displays. That manual is available in English on Alain's site.

https://schach-computer.info/wiki/index.php?title=Klone
Cheers,

Jeff B.
MarioFanaticXV

Post by MarioFanaticXV »

Scally wrote:Hi,

You obviously looked on Alain’s site as it only has the French and German manuals for the Conquistador.

Someone here will say that it is similar to the xxxxx, my guess is it’s similar to the Team Mate:

http://alain.zanchetta.free.fr/docs/Mis ... amMate.pdf

I expect to be corrected ....

Al.
Yeah, I had actually originally included a link to the site in question, but the anti-spam protection here requires my first post have no links.
According to schach-computer.info, it's a clone of the SciSys Turbo 16k, which also has the dual displays. That manual is available in English on Alain's site.

https://schach-computer.info/wiki/index.php?title=Klone
Thanks, I'll be sure to download that and let you know the results once I've got the proper batteries.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

I did a quick compare of the manuals of the Conquistador and the Turbo 16K, and found that the average levels 1 to 8 are different. The levels A to H are the same.
I have a Conquistador too, will try to look it up, somewhere at the attic... !?!

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
MarioFanaticXV

Post by MarioFanaticXV »

It seems to work great- the machines aren't identical, but I'm able to get a basic game running at least, and almost everything seems to be working fine. For a machine of its age, this thing is in excellent condition, can't believe that this was lying around at a thrift store.

The only thing I can find wrong with it is that the game doesn't seem to be able to hold a save anymore, but what can you expect from a 30 year old internal battery?
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

MarioFanaticXV wrote:It seems to work great- the machines aren't identical, but I'm able to get a basic game running at least, and almost everything seems to be working fine. For a machine of its age, this thing is in excellent condition, can't believe that this was lying around at a thrift store.

The only thing I can find wrong with it is that the game doesn't seem to be able to hold a save anymore, but what can you expect from a 30 year old internal battery?
I am not sure what you mean by cannot hold a save?
Maybe you should try this while running it on batteries?
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
MarioFanaticXV

Post by MarioFanaticXV »

This would be a fault of the internal battery, not the regular powersource. Its says it's can remember the last position for up to two years, it was gone from memory in about an hour when I tried, but honestly, I don't find it worth it to take it apart and replace the battery- a game of chess just doesn't last long enough for saved games to concern me anyways.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

I found my Conquistador, but unfortunately there is no original manual with it, so am not able to help you.
But if necessary I can help you translate the important parts from German to English.

Regards, Paul
MarioFanaticXV

Post by MarioFanaticXV »

Ah, a pity; I thank you for trying though.

I'll just see what I can manage with machine translations, should be good enough to figure things out at least.
Marty

Owners manual

Post by Marty »

I have an english manual for the Conquistador.

If you pm me your email address, i can email you a scanned copy.
Brenda Wiwi

Re: Found a Saitek Kasparov Conquistador.

Post by Brenda Wiwi »

Can you send it to my mail?
Please! It is really difficult to find the manual!
todialberti@gmail.com
kalatov

Re: Owners manual

Post by kalatov »

Marty wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:26 pm I have an english manual for the Conquistador.

If you pm me your email address, i can email you a scanned copy.
Perhaps if you send it to Alain too he will add it to his site?

Cheers
Phil